a coot in singapore...and waiting

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

never hated the morning more

As the season starts to gradually change from summer to autumn, the most marked difference one can feel is when waking up early in the morning around 8am. Though not freezing cold, my body hasnt fully adapted to the ambient temperature of around 14 degrees, especially not when getting out from my warm cozy bed.


This past week (and also for the last week), i've been almost waking up around 8-9am (shock!), mostly due to flights being planned in the morning. More often than not, i had to really drag myself out of bed, for if i dont, i run the risk of going late for my flight, and that will really give me a headache to think of an excuse for being late for my training.



Comparing my sleep/wake cycle to the rest of my coursemates, where i often wake up with not a minute to spare before i'm late, i really fear the day that i will run the risk of oversleeping. The feeling is kind of like when you have a major exam in the morning next day, and the night you go to bed, you will feel uneasy/nervous that you will screw up the whole thing by oversleeping. And this 2 weeks, each training is just like a major test/exam and i often found myself waking up several times in the middle of the night just to check the time.



And it's not like I dont set my alarm. In fact i usually will set 2 alarms, but over the years (of sleep-wake 'exercises' honed to perfection during my uni days) i have developed a pretty bad habit (or should i say skill?) of being able to adjust the time to say 5-10 minutes later when the alarm goes off, even in my concussed state. Only on a few occasions as a student in the university, i would badly mixed up the time like setting a totally irrelevant time like 8pm, and thus end up blatantly sleeping in bed, and missing my lectures. Strangly i dont use the snooze function in my mobile phone's alarm clock though. I think it's a bit unreliable. What an irony. Maybe i should consider getting one of the top 10 most annoying alarm clocks



.
I sure hope most of my flights from now on will be in the late morning, or afternoon. I cant imagine if i do make it all the way through the training, having to wake up at anytime from 2am to 6am for flights will probably kill me little by little. And it's true pilots usually suffer from insomnia, due to early waking and transistion from different time zones which badly disrupts the body's circadian rhythm. It really cant be helped at all though. I just hope that by then, i have developed the mental strength to pull myself out of bed promptly when the alarm sounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home