a coot in singapore...and waiting

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

first dive in over a year


After almost more than 15 months since my last dive (my last dive was near St John's Island in Singapore in Dec 2004), I finally had the chance to go for a leisure dive in the waters of Rottnest Island in Perth. My friends here are avid divers, with one even being a full fledged diving instructor, so i had no worries knowing that i would be safe with him around! haha



The trip itself was a one day dive trip costing $100 for 2 dives, equipment rental not included. Diving here is definitly much more expensive, but since i'm already here, i might as well give it a go. The operator is Perth Diving Academy, with its dive shop in Fremantle. Unfortunately, on the saturday that we got there for the dive, the operator's vessel, Lionfish IV, broke down. Luckily the dive shop is close to where we stay, and we managed to get slots for the next day dive.
The dive itself wasnt as good as what you would find in tropical waters. Visibility wasnt good, and variety of marine life was pathetic. The underwater current surge was pretty strong for the first dive, u haf to fin pretty hard juz to stay at the same spot. Worst of was the temperature of the water, although i didnt really note its exact temperature, but it was cold enuff for me to curse out loud on both occasions dat i jumped into the water. I was already wearin a 10mm wetsuit (the ones we normally wore were 3mm ones), n if i had being stingy n not rent the operator's wetsuit but wore my pathetic 3mm wetsuit, i might really suffer hypothermia underwater!

fully geared n ready to go see.....

... boring fish and ....

... its a filefish! Thanks baoz!

"V" for "Vendetta" "Very Cold"

The effects of not exercising/living a couch potato lifestyle was evident at the end of my 2nd dive, when i had cramps in my calf on surfacing. Luckily Mr K.K towed me back to the boat, sparing me the agony of tryin to fin back to the boat. Thanks again Saviour!

This should be Mor Cave...

After so long, i still havent forgotten the joy i get from diving. I still remember my very first training dive, n the feeling dat u get when u're in another part of the world, somewhere peaceful n beautiful. Sadly, this dive didnt give me dat kind of feeling, but i will be back for more!

5 Comments:

  • i can only say... "weak!"

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:42 PM  

  • Hey weide!
    Looks like you're doing well in Perth... anyway, the more dunno-what's-the-name fish is a filefish.

    Anyway, i wanted to ask you about diving in Perth, well, looks like you've already had the experience. I was planning for a trip to Aust in June. Was thinking of going to Perth then fly over to Melbourne to visit my sister but then its too ex, so i can only fly to Mel.

    I've read quite a few writeups and other personal reviews on diving in Perth. Heard that Exmouth, Coral Bay and Ningaloo Reef which is further North of Perth have quite good dive sites. Some say even better than Great Barrier Reef.

    If you ever get there let me know how it is like k? Btw, which were the 2 dive sites you went?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:40 AM  

  • Thanks for the info baoz!

    Anyway beside this Rottnest Island Dive, I also went to a wreck dive in Dunsborough recently, which is still driving distance away from Perth. But i guess that's about all for diving at this stage, as temperature is slowing goin down, n some places are not available for diving all year round.

    I've heard about Ningaloo Reef, as well as Monkey Mia south of it. But i'm unlikely to be goin these places as Ningaloo Reef is about 1000km away from Perth, n i do not have any opportunities to clear my leave n fly there for dive.

    If u do have the opportunity (n cash) to visit, i guess u wud b heading to Ningaloo Reef that area for diving rite?

    Anyway the 2 dive sites in Rottnest were Mor Cave n Monday Rock. I dunno if its becoz we went on a bad day,but visibility n variety of marine life is really poor.

    Hopefully u have much better luck in Melbourne, juz remember to bring/rent real thick wetsuits or even a dry suit if possible! :-)

    By Blogger coot, at 2:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger coot, at 2:06 AM  

  • lj: I have to admit i'm really weak this time! haha... u noe, u shld try to pick up diving there in US too, i tink there's a couple of wreck dives there

    By Blogger coot, at 2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home