a coot in singapore...and waiting

Monday, July 10, 2006

update in a long long while

Its been quite a while since i last logged on into Blogger and updated this blog. Perhaps part of me didnt know what to write, or partly I have been busier recently flying and etc.


During this 1 1/2 months, I was lucky enough to be able to fly back to Singapore for my elder brother's wedding banquet, held at Meritius Mandarin on 21st June. 3 days leave wasnt alot, but it was better than nothing. I was expecting I would be able to get a free ride back, but since it was for personal reasons, the company deemed it NECESSARY for me to purchase my own tickets back.


So with just 1 week to go to the expected wedding date, I sourced the net for the cheapest way back. Turns out there's no cheap way, with the cheapest tickets i can find at $900 Aussie dollars. That's like my one month's pay allowance!


Luckily, I came to know that we, as staff of the airline, could use our Concessional ticket entitlement, which on paper looks a great deal with 85% discount of the retail price of a ticket. Plus airport tax and other stuff, the ticket came to about S$520, still much cheaper than the $900 AUD one.


It felt good going back to the place i call home. Nothing much has changed in Singapore (anyway its only half a year since i was gone), although the most significant difference was the humidity. Adapting from cool dry days to hot humid days wasn't easy. Shopping centres were more crowded, roads were more busy. I could feel a significant increase in the tempo of life in Singapore compared to Perth.


When I was in Perth, i wanted to go back to Singapore asap, but while i was back in Singapore for that 3 days, i sort of miss the life in Perth, with its slower pace, friends just conveniently around the corner, and the free food and lodging.



I think i will look back at the days spent in Perth fondly if i do complete my training here, hopefully in another 3-4 months!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home