a coot in singapore...and waiting

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Of 霍元甲 aka Fearless

Havent been updating this site once again. Guess i'm slowly losing the interest. These few weeks have been interesting, with ups and downs. The "up" sides being travelling to Margaret River and Albany, and enjoying every moment of it, knowing that i will never get to do this ever again. More of this later.


Anyway, today being Movies Tuesday (tickets for $9 instead of $15), my friend and i decided to go catch a movie. Initially i wanted to watch "Miami Vice", which my roomie thought was "Grand Theft Auto" like.... but the timing didnt suit me. So ended up catchin this show called "Fearless" , starring Jet Li, apparently it's a chinese show. Even better, there'll be english subtitles. Not that i dont understand mandarin, just that I like my shows with english subtitles. So even for a chinese show, i would usually glance at the subtitles, especially so for the opening of this show, where a whole paragraph of chinese characters popped out.

I entered the theatre without a clue what the movie's about, not aided by the lack of promotional posters for the show in the cinema. Imagine my worst fears when i entered the theatre to find it completely empty, as if we had boooked the entire cinema for ourselves. Fortunately, or unfortunately, 3 other patrons, who are unsurprisingly chinese as well, entered the cinema slightly later.


Only when the movie started did i realise "Fearless" was 霍元甲! You know, the song where Jay Chou raps dunno what, the only verses heard being "huo huo huo huo huo". I was glad, for i had heard about this movie and wanted to catch it, but didnt have any high hopes for it to be screened here. I'm not going to say anything about the plot, since the movie's quite old (apparently shown in singapore 4 mths ago), though it was only screened here recently. But the movie got me all interested about this character 霍元甲, and i googled him when i got back. I was quite disappointed the movie didnt stick close to the actual facts, although 霍元甲 was nonetheless a hero in the eyes of many chinese at that time, perhaps even now. But i guess, that's the price of entertainment. Fact is hardly as exciting as fiction, and that's why we pay money to watch movies.


Overall it was a good show. After the show i practised my kungfu on my friend, since all chinese know kungfu mah, and it irritated him abit, with him calling me "childish" along the way back. I suspect that he's afraid to confront me directly, since i will be able to kick his arse all the way back to chinatown, with my "迷蹤拳".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home