a coot in singapore...and waiting

Thursday, July 19, 2007

on the way to the top

Just did a run at 10pm around teck whye. I was not surprised i only managed to do 3 km at a pace of maybe 9 or 10, based on the scale of the treadmills. the last time i ran was almost 2 weeks ago. plus i seriously think i have no ligaments in my right knee. Pain always creeps in towards the last few minutes of the run. May need to tell myself mind over matter, especially since the sheares bridge run is looking likely (although we are only doing the 6km fun run). i think it will probably be one of my longest run, at least officially timed.

After the run, decided to challenge myself further by climbing blk 13 of teck whye avenue.Blk 13 is a 25 storey HDB flat and has been right in front of my block since i was born. The last time i did climb up ( or took the lift up) was probably almost 20 yrs ago. I'm doing it this time as a training for this, on the 18th of nov. I figure i wud haf to climb blk 13 continuosly 3 times to feel what it's like doing the real thing. For today, i will only aim to climb it once. I better keep track of my progress here.

1st - 10th storey: strategy: 2 steps at a time, running up the flight of stairs. seems to be working smoothly. no panting yet. met no one on the stairs, which is good


11th - felt first sign of acid burning in thighs. breathing rate increases noticeably

13 - 14th - pace starts slowing down to almost just climbing pace, insisting on 2 steps at a time

16th - left hand started reaching for the railing for support while climbing up. Breathing must be around 140 beats by now. I'm almost forcing my legs up the flight of steps now.

20th - perspiring profusely and heart beating like 160 beats range i guess. Pace: felt like a chao turtle walking

21 - 24th - dying, thighs screaming in pain, almost dizzy like sensation, almost like the feeling at the last 100m of a 400m dash. almost cant catch my breath.

25th - reached the top! feeling: almost better than sex. climb took less than 5 min, with no stops in between. Must improve on the pace, and aim to at least keep the initial momentum going. This time felt fatigue at the 11th floor onwards. Next time aim at the 14th floor. Hmm mabbe i should consider getting a Polar watch n heartbeat monitor. Andrew has lobang.

Warm down time, tricky part walking down the stairs with wobbly legs. need to climb this at least 3 times to feel the equivalent of 73 storeys. Long way to go! next session aim to do it on sunday night

1 Comments:

  • Cool.. You're my inspiration for my August crazy gym sessions! I tried 15 storeys, 1 step each, die-ed..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home